Know When to Talk to Your Doctor
Don’t be afraid to have an honest conversation with your doctor about heart disease. You will also need to have certain screenings or tests to learn if you’re at risk. Getting screened and knowing your results are the first steps in taking control of your heart health.
Health professionals recommend the following tests to help you lead a healthy lifestyle and protect yourself against heart disease:
- Blood pressure — Get yours checked every time you visit a doctor starting at age 20.
- Cholesterol — Get yours checked every five years starting at age 20. Your cholesterol should be checked more often if you meet these criteria:
- if your total cholesterol is greater than 200
- if your HDL is less than 50
- if you have other risk factors for heart disease
- Weight/Body Mass Index (BMI) — Get yours checked every time you visit a doctor starting at age 20.
- Waist circumference — Get yours measured as needed starting at age 20.
- Blood glucose — Get yours tested every three years starting at age 45.